One of UFC 292’s more promising fights has been saved — or at least, one half of the fight will remain on the card.
Initially, rising welterweight prospect Ian Machado Garry had been scheduled to face Geoff Neal at the event in Boston, MA on August 19. However, with Neal forced to withdraw due to injury, the UFC was left seeking a replacement.
They didn’t have to look long. On Wednesday, Neil Magny announced he had signed on for a fight. Turns out, that fight is against Garry at UFC 292.
Garry (12-0) has been perfect in the UFC to date. And perfect in his pro career, having yet to suffer his first defeat. He’s coming off a Performance of the Night-winning TKO finish of Daniel Rodriguez, set up by a highlight-reel head kick.
Prior to that, Garry secured wins over Song Kenan, Gabriel Green, and others. The Irish welterweight has often been compared to countryman Conor McGregor, and seems to have a similar knack for getting what he wants — case in point, Magny, who Garry has called out in the past.
As for Neil Magny (28-10), the winningest welterweight in UFC history is coming off a victory over Phil Rowe, extending his wins record in the weight class to 21. Canadian legend Georges St-Pierre sits in second with 19.
Part of The Ultimate Fighter 16, Magny joined the UFC in 2013 and has been a mainstay in the company ever since.
UFC 292 is set to take place at the TD Garden in Boston, MA on August 19, 2023. The event is headlined by a bantamweight title fight between champ Aljamain Sterling and DWCS vet Sean O’Malley, while a strawweight title fight serves as the co-headliner. The following bouts have been reported for the event:
- Aljamain Sterling (c) vs. Sean O’Malley — for the UFC bantamweight championship
- Zhang Weili (c) vs. Amanda Lemos — for the UFC women’s strawweight championship
- Marlon Vera vs. Pedro Munhoz
- Cody Garbrandt vs. Mario Bautista
- Chris Weidman vs. Brad Tavares
- Andre Petroski vs. Gerald Meerschaert
- Andrea Lee vs. Natália Silva
- Gregory Rodrigues vs. Denis Tiuliulin
- Karine Silva vs. Maryna Moroz
- Ian Machado Garry vs. Neil Magny