With his own fight cancelled this past week, Trey Ogden is now stepping up on short notice to replace Nikolas Motta.
With Motta suffering a nasty injury in training, Ogden (16-5) will now face Ignacio Bahamondes (13-4) in a lightweight contest at UFC 287 on April 8, 2023.
MMA Junkie was first to report news of the match-up, with Ogden later confirming the pairing on social media — adding “I don’t need notice to smash these boys.”
Bahamondes has won two straight fights, most recently submitting Rong Zhu at UFC Vegas 49. The 2020 Contender Series winner had been expected to return to action last July, but was forced to withdraw from a scheduled match-up with L’udovit Klein.
The 25-year old Chilean has not fought since.
Ogden is 1-1 inside the octagon to date, with a win against Daniel Zellhuber in his most recent action back in September. “Samurai Ghost” was supposed to compete at UFC San Antonio against Manuel Torres, only for Torres to pull out of the bout on weigh-in day.
UFC 287 goes down at the Miami-Dade Arena in Miami, Florida on April 8, 2023. Alex Pereira runs it back with Israel Adesanya in the main event, a rematch of their November title fight — and the fourth time the pair have met in combat sports.
The following match-ups have been reported for the card:
- Alex Pereira (c) vs. Israel Adesanya — for the UFC middleweight championship
- Gilbert Burns vs. Jorge Masvidal
- Rob Font vs. Adrian Yanez
- Kevin Holland vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio
- Raul Rosas Jr. vs. Christian Rodriguez
- Kelvin Gastelum vs. Chris Curtis
- Michelle Waterson vs. Luana Pinheiro
- Chris Barnett vs. Chase Sherman
- Gerald Meerschaert vs. Joe Pyfer
- Cynthia Calvillo vs. Lupita Godinez
- Shayilan Nuerdanbieke vs. Steve Garcia
- Jacqueline Amorim vs. Sam Hughes
- Ignacio Bahamondes vs. Trey Ogden