Canadian heavyweight Tanner Boser is making the cut to 205 pounds for his next fight.
Boser (20-9-1, 1NC) will face Ion Cutelaba (16-9-1, 1NC) as part of UFC Kansas City on April 15, 2023.
News of the match-up was first reported by MMA Fighting. Boser subsequently confirmed the booking on social media.
“UFC Light Heavyweight debut. Exciting matchup. Violence guaranteed,” wrote Boser. “Someone’s lights are getting shut off, just gotta make sure it’s his.”
Boser will enter the bout off a loss to Rodrigo Nasimento. Having joined the UFC in 2019, he’s posted a 3-4 record as a heavyweight.
From day one, Boser, an undersized heavyweight, heard calls about making the move down to 205 pounds. However, after going 3-1 in his first four UFC bouts, he opted to stick with the division that saw him become a two-time Unified MMA heavyweight champion.
Of his last three wins, two of Boser’s opponents have dropped down (or returned to) light heavyweight: Ovince Saint Preux and Philipe Lins.
Meeting Boser in his return to 205lbs (he fought there previously outside the UFC, taking a light heavyweight bout in 2014) will be Ion Cutelaba. The Moldovan is just 1-5-1 in his last seven bouts, and has lost three straight.
His last action came in November, where Cutelaba was stopped by Kennedy Nzechukwu.
UFC Kansas City will take place at the T-Mobile Center in Kansas City, MO on April 15, with Max Holloway vs. Arnold Allen headlining. The following fights have been reported for the event:
- Max Holloway vs. Arnold Allen
- Martin Buday vs. Jake Collier
- Bruna Brasil vs. Denise Gomez
- Dustin Jacoby vs. Azamat Murzakanov
- T.J. Brown vs. Bill Algeo
- Edson Barboza vs. Billy Quarantillo
- Gillian Robertson vs. Piera Rodríguez
- Pedro Munhoz vs. Chris Gutiérrez
- Lando Vannata vs. Daniel Zellhuber
- Gastón Bolaños vs. Aaron Phillips
- Lucie Pudilová vs. Joselyne Edwards
- Brandon Royval vs. Matheus Nicolau
- Clay Guida vs. Rafa García
- Ed Herman vs. Zak Cummings
- Tanner Boser vs. Ion Cutelaba