Bantamweight action has landed on the UFC’s March 11, 2023 Fight Night event.
Said Nurmagomedov (17-2) is expected to face off with Jonathan Martinez (17-4) at the event, set for The Theater at Virgin Hotels in Las Vegas, Nevada.
ESPN Deportes was first to report news of the booking. Iridium Sports Agency, who represent Martinez, confirmed the match-up on Saturday.
Martinez, 28, has both hit his prime and hit his stride of late, stringing together four straight wins inside the octagon. Most recently, he defeated UFC Hall of Famer Cub Swanson with a leg kick TKO back in October.
With that win unquestionably the biggest of Martinez’s career, he now gets a tough out in Said Nurmagomedov. The Dagestani fighter has also won four straight, putting away Saidyokub Kakhramonov with a ninja choke last time out.
During his current win streak, Nurmagomedov also picked up a Performance of the Night bonus after submitting Cody Stamann.
The UFC’s March 11, 2023 card is headlined by another bantamweight affair, as Merab Dvalishvili takes on Petr Yan. The following fights have been reported for the event so far:
- Petr Yan vs. Merab Dvalishvili
- Tyson Nam vs. Bruno Gustavo da Silva
- Abu Azaitar vs. Sedriques Dumas
- Łukasz Brzeski vs. Karl Williams
- Mario Bautista vs. Guido Cannetti
- JJ Aldrich vs. Ariane Lipski
- Raphael Assunção vs. Kyler Phillips
- Said Nurmagomedov vs. Jonathan Martinez