Jailton Almeida received some unwelcome news when he arrived in Las Vegas earlier today.
The UFC heavyweight had been booked into a 220 pound catchweight bout with Maxim Grishin at this coming Saturday’s UFC Vegas 64 Fight Night card — but the fight is no more.
“Man, arrived in Vegas just now and I heard that my fight was cancelled,” Almeida wrote on social media. In a separate post, he went on to add “I want to thank Mick Maynard for trying in every way [to get] another opponent, but without success.”
MMA Fighting had first reported the development about an hour prior to Almedia confirming the news. No explanation has been reported for Grishin’s withdrawal from the fight.
Almeida (17-2) has won his first three fights inside the UFC, stopping Danilo Marques, Parker Porter, and Anton Turkalj already this year. A 2021 Contender Series winner, Almeida has spoken of competing at both heavyweight and light heavyweight; Saturday’s catchweight bout was looked at as a stepping stone en route to that goal.
UFC Vegas 64 takes place this Saturday, November 5, 2022 at the Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada. The following bouts have been reported for the card:
- Marina Rodriguez vs. Amanda Lemos
- Neil Magny vs. Daniel Rodriguez
- Chase Sherman vs. Josh Parisian
- Tagir Ulanbekov vs. Nate Maness
- Grant Dawson vs. Mark Madsen
- Darrick Minner vs. Shayilan Nuerdanbieke
- Miranda Maverick vs. Shanna Young
- Mario Bautista vs. Benito Lopez
- Polyana Viana vs. Jinh Yu Frey
- Liudvik Sholinian vs. Johnny Muñoz Jr.
- Carlos Candelario vs. Jake Hadley
- Tamires Vidal vs. Ramona Pascual