Miranda Maverick’s fight with Shanna Young is off tomorrow’s UFC 278 card.
The women’s flyweight pair were expected to be part of Saturday’s preliminary card at the Vivint Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah. However, in the early hours of Friday morning, Young fell ill and was transported to hospital.
With weigh-ins fast approaching, Maverick vs. Young, a rematch of the pair’s Invicta FC meeting a few years back, is off.
Maverick announced the news on social media on Friday.
“Welp… fight is off guys. [Shanna Young] is in the hospital from illness (assuming from weight cut) and I wish her a full and fast recovery. We were ready, super prepared, and improved so much for this camp,” Maverick wrote in a brief statement. “I made weight already (within a lb to float off by morning). I’m hoping to still watch some really good fights on Saturday and get back in the cage as soon as possible. Thank you for the support and thank you to my team who has invested in me and the people who came out for this fight.”
UFC 278 now moves forward with the following bouts:
- Kamaru Usman (c) vs. Leon Edwards
- Paulo Costa vs. Luke Rockhold
- José Aldo vs. Merab Dvalishvili
- Wu Yanan vs. Lucie Pudilová
- Tyson Pedro vs. Harry Hunsucker
- Marcin Tybura vs. Alexander Romanov
- Leonardo Santos vs. Jared Gordon
- Sean Woodson vs. Luis Saldaña
- A.J. Fletcher vs. Ange Loosa
- Amir Albazi vs. Francisco Figueiredo
- Aori Qileng vs. Jay Perrin
- Daniel Lacerda vs. Victor Altamirano