September’s UFC 279 is set to be headlined by Nate Diaz vs. Khamzat Chimaev, and an explosive light heavyweight pairing has now joined the card.
Moldovan power-puncher Ion Cutelaba (16-7-1, 1NC) will face Brazil’s Johnny Walker (18-7) at the event, expected to take place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas. Walker himself announced the booking via his Youtube channel.
Cutelaba went 0-1-1 in 2021, fighting to a draw against Dustin Jacoby, then winning a decision against Devin Clark. He returned to action in May, only to be submitted care of a Ryan Spann guillotine choke.
Walker, meanwhile, has hit a rough patch of late. At 1-4 in his last five fights, the Brazilian has fallen a long way from the time when he was considered a potential title challenger in the 205 pound division. He’s dropped back-to-back fights against Thiago Santos and Jamahal Hill, and is close to if not in must-win territory at this point in his career.
The 30-year old Contender Series winner started his UFC career with three consecutive wins, and was undefeated from 2017 to 2020, compiling a nine-fight win streak during that time.
UFC 279 currently features the following reported bouts:
- Khamzat Chimaev vs. Nate Diaz
- Shamil Abdurakhimov vs. Jailton Almeida
- Norma Dumont vs. Danyelle Wolf
- Irene Aldana vs. Macy Chiasson
- Denis Tiuliulin vs. Jamie Pickett
- Heili Alateng vs. Chad Anheliger
- Melissa Martinez vs. Elise Reed
- Daniel da Silva vs. Victor Altamirano
- Ion Cutelaba vs. Johnny Walker