A pair of UFC light heavyweights will fight up a weight class in two weeks.
MMA Junkie was the first to report the news that William Knight and Devin Clark will fight on April 16 at UFC Fight Night: Luque vs. Muhammad 2. The catch is that the fight will be at heavyweight as it will be on short notice. Knight would confirm the news on social media.
Clark (12-6) is in need of a victory when he steps into the octagon on April 16. “Brown Bear” has dropped his last two fights. In November 2020, he competed in his first UFC main event against Anthony Smith, but he fell via first-round submission. In his most recent outing, he lost to Ion Cutelaba via unanimous decision.
Knight (11-3) had his two-fight win streak snapped in February when he lost a unanimous decision to Maxim Grishin at UFC 272. The fight had plenty of controversy surrounding it, as Knight weighed in 218 pounds, 12 pounds over the light heavyweight limit, making it the biggest weight miss in UFC history. The fight was moved up a weight class as a result. Prior to his loss, he beat Alonzo Menifield and knocked out Fabio Cherant.
The UFC’s April 16 Fight Night event is expected to take place at the Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada.
The fight card currently looks like this:
- Vicente Luque vs. Belal Muhammad
- Rafa García vs. Jesse Ronson
- Mayra Bueno Silva vs. Wu Yanan
- Chris Barnett vs. Martin Buday
- Heili Alateng vs. Kevin Croom
- Drakkar Klose vs. Brandon Jenkins
- Miguel Baeza vs. André Fialho
- Caio Borralho vs. Gadzhi Omargadzhiev
- Lina Länsberg vs. Pannie Kianzad
- Uriah Hall vs. André Muniz
- Elizeu Zaleski dos Santos vs. Mounir Lazzez
- Jordan Leavitt vs. Trey Ogden
- Sam Hughes vs. Istela Nunes
- TJ Laramie vs. Pat Sabatini
- William Knight vs. Devin Clark