The changes keep on coming for this weekend’s UFC Vegas 48 card.
Yet another alternation to the Fight Night event comes as Christian Rodriguez steps in to replace Austin Lingo opposite Jonathan Pearce. The switch-up was first noted in ESPN‘s official bout line-up for the event. Pearce later confirmed the fight on social media.
Saturday’s entire main event only recently shifted to UFC 272 next month, a move that saw Rafael dos Anjos vs. Rafael Fiziev drop off the card. In its place, Johnny Walker vs. Jamahal Hill was promoted to the top slot. Additionally, newcomer Jay Perrin has stepped up to face Mario Bautista this Saturday.
Lingo’s withdrawal from the event, due to injury, was first reported by MMA Junkie.
Featherweight Pearce (11-4), meanwhile, will look to build on a two-fight win streak at UFC Vegas 48. In his last two outings, “JSP” has earned victories against Kai Kamaka III and Omar Morales. His lone loss in the UFC came in his promotional debut, against veteran Joe Lauzon — a tough out for anyone, let alone a debuting fighter.
Rodriguez (7-0), a 2021 Contender Series winner who didn’t initially get a contract thanks to missing weight, will be making his promotional debut in the fight. He’s coming off a win over Ryan McIntosh on the regional circuit last month.
UFC Vegas 48 takes place this Saturday, February 19, 2022 at the Apex in Las Vegas. The card currently looks a little (okay, a lot) like this:
- Johnny Walker vs. Jamahal Hill
- Kyle Daukaus vs. Jamie Pickett
- Parker Porter vs. Alan Baudot
- Jim Miller vs. Nikolas Motta
- Joaquin Buckley vs. Abdul Razak Alhassan
- Jonathan Pearce vs. Christian Rodriguez
- Gabriel Benítez vs. David Onama
- Jessica-Rose Clark vs. Stephanie Egger
- Chas Skelly vs. Mark Striegl
- Diana Belbiţă vs. Gloria de Paula
- Chad Anheliger vs. Jesse Strader
- Mario Bautista vs. Jay Perrin