The Motown Phenom’s return to the welterweight division will happen in August after all.
Multiple sources, speaking on condition of anonymity, have confirmed to Cageside Press that Kevin Lee’s return to the welterweight division will be against Daniel Rodriguez on August 28 at the UFC APEX.
Lee (18-6) has been out since his loss to current lightweight champion Charles Oliveira last year. He was submitted in the third round of their main event and missed weight as well. Before that loss, he would be the first man to defeat Gregor Gillespie by knocking him out at UFC 244. During his time away, Lee tore his ACL in both knees and had surgery. “The Motown Phenom” has had one fight in the UFC at welterweight; he lost to Rafael Dos Anjos via submission.
Rodriguez (15-2) has been on a roll since entering the UFC last year only losing a split decision to Nicholas Dalby. “D-Rod” has already fought twice this year, defeating Mike Perry on UFC on ABC 2 and the most recently finishing promotional newcomer Preston Parsons.
The Fight Night event will take place at the UFC APEX in Las Vegas, NV.
The August 28 fight card now includes the following reported bouts:
- Edson Barboza vs. Giga Chikadze
- Kevin Lee vs. Daniel Rodriguez
- Gerald Meerschaert vs. Makhmud Muradov
- Ketlen Vieira vs. Sara McMann
- Kevin Croom vs. Marcelo Rojo
- Pat Sabatini vs. Jamall Emmers
- Joselyne Edwards vs. Zarah Fairn Dos Santos
- Mario Bautista vs. Guido Cannetti
- Dustin Jacoby vs. Darren Stewart
- Tracy Cortez vs. JJ Aldrich
- Alessio Di Chirico vs. Aliaskhab Khizriev