Julian Marquez will step in on short notice at a UFC Fight Night on April 10.
UFC officials announced Thursday via press release that Marquez will be stepping in on short notice for his teammate Zak Cummings and will fight Sam Alvery at the event. Marquez would later confirm the news on his social media.
Marquez (8-2) returned to action after a 31-month lay-off in February. After being down two rounds, he would go on to defeat Maki Pitolo via anaconda choke in the third round at UFC 258. “The Cuban Missile Crisis” would then infamously ask Miley Cirus to be his valentine during his post-fight interview. A two-month turnaround is the quickest turnaround he has made in his ten-fight career.
Alvey (33-14-1) most recently went to a split draw against Da Un Jung back in October at UFC 254 on ‘Fight Island.” He hasn’t had a victory since 2018, dropping four straight. “Smilin” will move down to middleweight for the first time since 2017, after compiling a 2-4-1 record at light heavyweight.
The April 10 event will be headlined by Darren Till vs. Marvin Vettori and will be the second UFC on ABC card.
With the latest addition, UFC on ABC 2 now looks like this:
- Arnold Allen vs. Sodiq Yusuff
- Nina Ansaroff vs. Mackenzie Dern
- Kyle Daukaus vs. Aliaskhab Khizriev
- Sam Alvey vs. Julian Marquez
- Ignacio Bahamondes vs. John Makdessi
- Mike Perry vs. Daniel Rodriguez
- Jordan Griffin vs. Luis Saldana
- Norma Dumont vs. Bea Malecki
- Jarjis Danho vs. Yorgan De Castro
- Hunter Azure vs. Jack Shore
- Shamil Gamzatov vs. Da Un Jung
- Mateusz Gamrot vs. Scott Holtzman
- Impa Kasanganay vs. Sasha Palatnikov
- Jim Miller vs. Joe Solecki