Triller Fight Club’s April 17 card now has another pair of big names on it, with former champions Frank Mir and Antonio Tarver stepping into the ring.
Former UFC heavyweight champion Frank Mir, 41, has been a free agent since his Bellator contract expired last year, and he has seemingly found a new home. However, it won’t be in a cage. It was announced Wednesday that the former champion will be stepping into the boxing ring on April 17 for Triller Fight Club, which recently debuted back in November with the return of Mike Tyson. Mir’s opponent will also be another big name as well, with the MMA veteran taking on former light heavyweight champion Antonio Tarver.
The April 17 date, of course, is the Jake Paul vs. Ben Askren boxing spectacle.
Tarver, 52, is stepping into the ring for the first time in six years: his last outing was a split draw to Steve Cummingham in 2015. Mir on the other hand was last active in 2019, picking up a decision win over Roy Nelson. The bout will allegedly be held as a professionally sanctioned fight according to Mir, who said on his podcast about the bout:
“Antonio Tarver hasn’t fought in a few years,” Mir said. “It’s very reminiscent of my first UFC fight. I think I’m obviously being brought in on the B-side. It’ll be my first professional boxing match. I’m known in MMA for more of my grappling than I am for striking. I’m somebody that brings a name and am maybe not dangerous to him on the surface. Hopefully, I’ll train hard and prove them wrong. As of now, I’m not going to make any illusions about it. This is probably a safe warm-up fight in their minds from what their corner is looking at and who they’re going to face.”
The fight joins the second PPV card held by Triller, where the main event as mentioned is expected to be a grudge match between former Youtuber turned professional boxer Jake Paul, and former Bellator and ONE welterweight champion Ben Askren.