UFC Newark is a Saturday afternoon card headlined by an important welterweight bout between a top contender in Colby Covington and a former champion in Robbie Lawler.
UFC Newark is an ESPN-only card from the Prudential Center in New Jersey kicking off at Noon EDT with a main card beginning three hours later.
Colby Covington looks to secure an elusive title shot after winning the interim welterweight title in June 2018. Covington was later stripped of the title after he was unable to accept a fight with then-champion Tyron Woodley. Lawler reigned as the welterweight champion from 2014 to 2016 with two epic defenses of his belt against Rory MacDonald and Carlos Condit. Since then, however, he is 1-3 and is looking to snap a two-fight skid.
Also on the card, longtime veterans Clay Guida and Jim Miller will battle in the co-main event. Prior to that, promising prospects Joaquim Silva and Nasrat Haqparast will look to keep their momentum against each other. Opening the main card are a pair of light heavyweight prospects in Darko Stosic and Kennedy Nzechukwu in what should be an exciting affair.
Both Cole Williams and Dong Hyun Ma missed weight for their bouts. Their fights will be contested at a catchweight and they will surrender part of their purse to their opponent.
Check out the results for UFC Newark below and click on the links to view a full recap of the selected fight!
UFC Newark Main Card Results
- Colby Covington def. Robbie Lawler by Unanimous Decision (50-44, 50-45 x2)
- Jim Miller def. Clay Guida via Submission (Guillotine) in Round 1 (0:58)
- Nasrat Haqparast def. Joaquim Silva by KO (Left Hook) in Round 2 (0:36)
- Gerald Meerschaert def. Trevin Giles by Submission (Guillotine) in Round 3 (1:49)
- Scott Holtzman def. Dong Hyun Ma by TKO (Doctor’s Stoppage) in Round 2 (5:00)
- Kennedy Nzechukwu def. Darko Stosic by Unanimous Decision (28-27 x2, 29-26)
Preliminary Card Results
- Mickey Gall def. Salim Touahri by Unanimous Decision (29-28 x3)
- Antonina Shevchenko def. Lucie Pudilova by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) in Round 2 (1:20)
- Matt Schnell def. Jordan Espinosa by Submission (Triangle Choke) in Round 1 (1:23)
- Lauren Murphy def. Mara Romero Borella by TKO (Knee and Punches) in Round 3 (1:46)
- Claudio Silva def. Cole Williams by Submission (Rear-Naked Choke) in Round 1 (2:35)
- Miranda Granger def. Hannah Goldy by Unanimous Decision (30-27 x3)