The UFC’s return to Canada this June just added a significant middleweight match-up.
Nassourdine Imavov (12-4) is expected to face Chris Curtis (30-10) at the event, which takes place on June 10, 2023 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
Imavov confirmed the booking on social media on Wednesday, following an initial report by MMA Fighting. The report noted that verbal agreements from both fighters are in place, with contracts expected to be signed in the near future.
Curtis is coming off a loss to Kelvin Gastelum at UFC 287 earlier this month, making the bout a quick turnaround for “The Action Man.” That has been his M.O. since joining the UFC in 2021, however, as Curtis has fought in bouts just a month or so apart on more than one occasion.
Imavov last competed in January, coming up short against Sean Strickland. The French middleweight had competed at home in September prior to that, taking part in the UFC’s first even event in France. The UFC Paris match-up saw Imavov earn a unanimous decision win against Joaquin Buckley.
Currently, Curtis holds the #15 ranking at 185lbs, while Imavov sits at #12.
UFC 289 will be headlined by a women’s bantamweight title fight between Amanda Nunes and Juliana Pena. Beneil Dariush, meanwhile, recently revealed that his fight with Charles Oliveira has been moved to the Vancouver card, though the promotion has yet to comment on those plans.
The following match-ups have been reported for the Vancouver card thus far:
- Amanda Nunes (c) vs. Julianna Peña – For the UFC Women’s Bantamweight Championship
- Stephen Thompson vs. Michel Pereira
- Miranda Maverick vs. Jasmine Jasudavicius
- Eryk Anders vs. Marc-Andre Barriault
- Diana Belbiţă vs. Maria Oliveira
- Blake Bilder vs. Kyle Nelson
- Matt Schnell vs. David Dvorak
- Dan Ige vs. Nate Landwehr
- Hakeem Dawodu vs. Lucas Almeida
- Aiemann Zahabi vs. Aori Qileng
- Nassourdine Imavov vs. Chris Curtis