The worst-kept secret in MMA over the past week is inching closer to reality, as a featherweight fight between Bryce Mitchell and Ilia Topuria is in the works for UFC 282.
Mitchell (14-0) was originally supposed to face Movsar Evloev in the main event of the UFC’s November 5 Fight Night card. However, with Russia’s Evloev pulling out of the fight, Topuria (12-0) instead volunteered to throw down.
Topuria made the offer on social media days ago, and Mitchell appeared ready to accept. The bout simply won’t happen in November, however, with the booking instead lined up for the December 10, 2022 UFC 282 Pay-Per-View.
Fight Bananas was first to report the pairing’s newly targeted date.
Regardless, Mitchell goes from one undefeated opponent to another. He last fought at UFC 272 in March, picking up arguably his biggest win to date care of a unanimous decision win over Edson Barboza.
Topuria last fought in March as well, at that month’s UFC London card, knocking out Jai Herbert. The fight came up a weight class at 155lbs, but it will be back to featherweight in December.
Thus far, German-born Georgian Topuria has won all four of his UFC bouts, claiming his last three by KO.
Set to take place at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada, UFC 282 currently includes the following reported match-ups:
- Jiri Prochazka (c) vs. Glover Teixeira – for the UFC light heavyweight championship
- Jan Błachowicz vs. Magomed Ankalaev
- Robbie Lawler vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio
- Alexander Gustafsson vs. Ovince Saint Preux
- Darren Till vs. Dricus du Plessis
- Edmen Shahbazyan vs. Dalcha Lungiambula
- Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs. Chris Daukaus
- Billy Quarantillo vs. Alexander Hernandez
- T.J. Brown vs. Erik Silva
- Chris Curtis vs. Joaquin Buckley
- Ronnie Lawrence vs. Cameron Saaiman
- Vinicius Salvador vs. Daniel da Silva
- Paddy Pimblett vs. Jared Gordon
- Bryce Mitchell vs. Ilia Topuria