A rematch eight years in the making will go down at UFC 274 in April.
Ag.Fight was first to report the news that Maurício “Shogun” Rua will rematch Ovince St. Preux at the PPV event on April 9, 2022. A source close to the situation would confirm the 205lb match-up to Cageside Press. The pair of light heavyweights fought in 2014 in the main event of UFC Fight Night 56, but the fight only lasted 34 seconds as OSP knocked Rua out.
Rua (27-12-1) will be returning from a lengthy layoff when he steps into the octagon at UFC 274. He last fought at UFC 255 in December of 2020 against Paul Craig. Shogun would tap to strikes in the second round. There were rumors of the MMA legend possibly retiring after that fight; however, those have turned out to be just that— rumors. Instead, Shogun will be going into his third rematch in a row.
St. Preux (25-16) will be looking to get back into the win column and snap his two-fight losing streak. In his last outing, he was knocked out by Tanner Boser at heavyweight, and before that, he was finished by Jamahal Hill. OSP has been switching between light heavyweight and heavyweight in his last four fights. He will be return back to 205 in April.
UFC 274 takes place on May 7, 2022, at a location and venue yet to be announced. However, the event is rumored to take place in Phoenix, Arizona.
The UFC 274 card currently looks like this:
- Glover Teixeira (c) vs. Jiří Procházka – for the UFC light heavyweight championship
- Charles Oliveira (c) vs. Justin Gaethje – for the UFC lightweight championship
- Macy Chiasson vs. Norma Dumont
- Ariane Carnelossi vs. Loopy Godinez
- Blagoy Ivanov vs. Marcos Rogerio de Lima
- C.J. Vergara vs. Kleydson Rodrigues
- Joe Lauzon vs. Donald Cerrone
- Journey Newson vs. Fernie Garcia
- Brandon Royval vs. Matt Schnell
- Shogun Rua vs. Ovince St. Preux
- Michael Johnson vs. Alan Patrick