Gillian Robertson is living up to her reputation as a “savage.”
The Canadian flyweight confirmed Wednesday that she will step up on short notice to replace Ariane Lipski at the UFC’s March 12, 2022 Fight Night show. Robertson (10-6) will face off with JJ Aldrich (10-4) at the event.
News of the booking was first reported by Fight Bananas.
Robertson most recently competed at UFC 269 in December, submitting Priscila Cachoeira with a rear-naked choke in the final second of the opening round. The win snapped a two-fight losing streak — the first of Robertson’s career.
Following the bout, a minor controversy arose, as it appeared Cachoeira had been attempting to gouge Robertson’s eye.
The Canadian fighter holds the UFC women’s flyweight record for most fights, most submission wins, and most finishes. She also holds the overall women’s record for most submission wins.
Aldrich has won her last two fights, with both bouts going the distance. In August 2021, in her most recent contest, she went the distance with Vanessa Demopoulos, winning a unanimous decision.
The UFC’s March 12, 2022 event will take place at the Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada. A light heavyweight showdown tops the card, with Brazil’s Thiago Santos taking on surging Russian Magomed Ankalaev. The following bouts have been reported for the date thus far:
- Thiago Santos vs. Magomed Ankalaev
- Marlon Moraes vs. Song Yadong
- Alex Pereira vs. Bruno Silva
- Matthew Semelsberger vs. A.J. Fletcher
- Guido Cannetti vs. Kris Moutinho
- Trevin Jones vs. Javid Basharat
- Damon Jackson vs. Kamuela Kirk
- Dalcha Lungiambula vs. Cody Brundage
- Sabina Mazo vs. Mandy Bohm
- Alex Caceres vs. Sodiq Yusuff
- Tafon Nchukwi vs. Azamat Murzakanov
- Ricky Glenn vs. Drew Dober
- Khalil Rountree Jr. vs. Karl Roberson
- JJ Aldrich vs. Gillian Robertson