Shavkat Rakhmonov plans to keep his 100% finish rate at UFC Vegas 47.
Rakhmonov (14-0) returns to the octagon for his third fight this weekend against Carlston Harris. The Kazakhstani fighter has been absolutely terrific in his two UFC fights thus far, and has a lot of hype behind him.
- Shavkat, more and more UFC fans are learning who you are and realizing how talented you are. You were also put on many ‘Prospect to watch in 2022’ lists. Did you see all of the messages and hype? How does it make you feel?
Yes, I can feel that with every fight, I get more and more support, mostly from the fans from my homeland. It makes me feel good, but also I can feel that my responsibility is growing too. I appreciate the support very much
- It has been about seven months since your fight with Michel Prazeres; how do you feel about the performance? You were also the first person to finish Michel Prazeres; how does that make you feel?
I’m satisfied with my performance against Prazeres because everything went according to plan, and I was able to keep my 100% finish rate. The fact that he had never been finished before, but I was still able to do it is very satisfying too. I will try to finish all my future opponents too, to keep this streak going.
- You only fought once in 2021. Why is that?
Of course, one fight in 2021 is not enough, but unfortunately, circumstances were not in favor for me to stay busier. The injuries and timing of the fight offers kept me away from the octagon longer than I wanted.
- You’re fighting Carlston Harris. How do you like the match-up? How do you see the fight going? Do you have a prediction?
Carlston is a very tough opponent that I treat very seriously; he is also a very hungry up-and-coming fighter like me with two finishes in UFC. Octagon will show who is better, but I’m ready for anything that can happen.
- What do you want your 2022 to look like? How many fights? Ranked opponent next?
In 2022 I want to stay busy to defeat all my opponents in impressive fashion to crack the top 10 as soon as possible. Three fights is a minimum bar for me this year, I hope to face only top competition.
- There are a handful of Kazakhstan fighters in the UFC right now; how does that make you feel to know your country is being put on the map?
I’m glad that there are many Kazakhstan fighters competing in UFC now; I’m proud that I was the first one to sign with the promotion and maybe paved the way for others. I can tell that UFC is interested in our fighters because we have very exciting and strong talents. Also, our fans love the UFC and give us and the organization great support.
Shavkat Rakhmonov returns to action this Saturday, February 5 at UFC Vegas 47 in Las Vegas, Nevada.