A top 15 ranked UFC lightweight will put his ranking on the line in September.
MMA Junkie was first to report the news that No. 15 ranked Arman Tsarukyan will fight Christos Giagos on September 18 at a yet-to-be-announced event. Both fighters would confirm the news on social media.
Tsarukyan (16-2) has been perfect since losing his UFC debut against Islam Makhachev in 2019. The Armenian is riding a three-fight win streak and got put into the ultra stacked lightweight rankings last month. In his most recent fight, Tsarukyan defeated Matt Frevola at UFC 257 in January on ‘Fight Island.’
Giagos (19-8) will be looking to take his opponent’s ranking come September. “The Spartan” is riding a two-fight win streak. In his only fight in 2020, he defeated Carlton Minus via unanimous decision. In his most recent victory, he spoiled Sean Soriano’s UFC return by submitting him at UFC 262, earning Performance of the Night.
No location, venue, or broadcast plan has been announced for the September 18 event, but UFC President Dana White said that all Fight Nights will be staying at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas, NV.
So far, the Fight Night card looks like this:
- Anthony Smith vs. Ryan Spann
- Montel Jackson vs. Batgerel Danaa
- Dakota Bush vs. Zhu Rong
- Devin Clark vs. Ion Cutelaba
- Mike Rodriguez vs. Tafon Nchukwi
- Impa Kasanganay vs. Carlston Harris
- Jim Miller vs. Nikolas Motta
- Pannie Kianzad vs. Raquel Pennington
- Gustavo Lopez vs. Heili Alateng
- Antonio Arroyo vs. Joaquin Buckley
- Cory McKenna vs. Emily Whitmire
- Christos Giagos vs. Arman Tsarukyan