Punahele Soriano has a new opponent, and new date after original foe Anthony Hernandez was forced to pull out of their upcoming middleweight match-up.
MMA Fighting was first to report the news that Soriano will now fight Brendan Allen on July 24 at UFC Fight Night: Sandhagen vs. Dillashaw. James Lynch previously broke news of Hernandez’s withdraw. Both fighters would confirm the booking on social media.
Soriano (8-0) recently returned from a year on the shelf with injuries in a devastating fashion. He knocked out Duško Todorović to kick off UFC’s partnership with ABC in January. The Hawaiian is two fights into his UFC career and has continued his first-round knockout streak, something he has done in seven of his eight fights.
Allen (16-4) bounced back from his first UFC loss last month in April. He submitted Karl Roberson via heel hook. “All In” went 2-1 in 2020. He defeated Tom Breese to kick off his year and then defeated Kyle Daukaus four months later. He would end his year by getting finished via TKO for the first time in his career.
The winner of this fight will surely get a ranked opponent next.
The UFC’s July 24 event does not have an official location, venue, or broadcast plan announced. The following bouts have been reported for the Fight Night card:
- Cory Sandhagen vs. T.J. Dillashaw
- Aspen Ladd vs. Macy Chiasson
- Maycee Barber vs. Miranda Maverick
- Brendan Allen vs. Punahele Soriano
- Trevin Jones vs. Tony Kelley
- Raphael Assunção vs. Kyler Phillips
- Randy Costa vs. Adrian Yanez
- Mickey Gall vs. Jordan Williams
- Julio Arce vs. Andre Ewell
- Ian Heinisch vs. Nassourdine Imavov
- Darren Elkins vs. Darrick Minner