The bare UFC women’s featherweight division just became even thinner, as Zarah Fairn will be dropping down to bantamweight.
L’Equipe was first to report that French fighter Fairn will welcome Josaine Nunes to the UFC on April 17. Nunes would confirm the news on social media.
Fairn (6-4) is still looking for her first UFC win and could be fighting for her job. Until recently, the former featherweight was the lone female French fighter in the UFC (Manon Fiorot recently joined her). Since joining the organization, Fairn has fought nothing but former title challengers through her first two fights for the promotion. Fairn made her UFC debut against Megan Anderson and lost via first-round submission. In her second fight, she would meet Felicia Spencer and lose again via first-round stoppage in her only fight in 2020.
Brazil’s Nunes (7-1) will be making her UFC debut on a hot streak. She is on a six-fight win streak, with five of those wins coming by way of TKO.
The UFC’s April 17 event, UFC on ESPN 22, will take place at the UFC Apex in Las Vegas, Nevada. The card currently breaks down as follows:
- Robert Whittaker vs. Kelvin Gastelum
- Gerald Meerschaert vs. Bartosz Fabinski
- Chase Sherman vs. Parker Porter
- Justine Kish vs. Tracy Cortez
- Tony Gravely vs. Nate Maness
- Natan Levy vs. Austin Hubbard
- Drakkar Klose vs. Jeremy Stephens
- Luis Peña vs. Alexander Munoz
- Abdul Razak Alhassan vs. Jacob Malkoun
- Bill Algeo vs. Ricardo Ramos
- Zarah Fairn vs. Josiane Nunes