A very exciting match-up in the light heavyweight division at UFC Vegas 20 has been canceled due to COVID-19.
As first reported by MMA Junkie, Alonzo Menifield vs. William Knight has been canceled and postponed due to a positive COVID-19 from Menifield. This is the third fight on UFC Fight Night 186 card this Saturday that has been canceled due to a COVID-19 positive.
This wasn’t the first time Menifield (9-2) has had to deal with a COVID fight cancellation. Last August, opponent Ovince St. Preux tested positive, resulting in their fight being postponed by two weeks. Menifield would lose the fight via second-round knockout when St. Preux caught him with a perfect counter left.
Menifield is on the first losing streak of his UFC and professional career. All of us at Cageside Press wish Menifield a quick and healthy recovery.
Knight (9-1) is coming off a successful UFC debut. He fought Aleksa Camur at UFC 253 last September on ‘Fight Island.’ “Knightmare” won the bout via unanimous decision; it was the first time he had seen the judge’s scorecards in his professional career.
With the cancellation of Menifield vs. Knight, the fight card looks like this:
- Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs. Ciryl Gane
- Magomed Ankalaev vs. Nikita Krylov
- Montana De La Rosa vs. Mayra Bueno Silva
- Pedro Munhoz vs. Jimmie Rivera
- Angela Hill vs. Ashley Yoder
- Alex Caceres vs. Kevin Croom
- Alexander Hernandez vs. Thiago Moises
- Ramazan Kuramagomedov vs. Alex Oliveira
- Alexis Davis vs. Sabina Mazo
- Vince Cachero vs. Ronnie Lawrence
- Maxim Grishin vs. Dustin Jacoby
UFC Vegas 20 takes place on Saturday, February 27, airing live on ESPN+ in the U.S. The card has an advertised start time of 5 P.M. EST.