A pair of UFC bantamweights will be looking to get back in the win column in March.
As first reported by MMA Junkie, Johnny Eduardo vs. Anthony Birchak has been added to the March 20 fight night that Derek Brunson vs. Kevin Holland is headlining.
Eduardo (28-12) has been out of action since June 1, 2018 — a 33-month layoff. He has been with the promotion since 2011 but has only seven fights within that time. While the Brazilan hasn’t had the best success in the UFC, his losses are to some of the best bantamweights fighters in the division, including Raphael Assuncao, Nathaniel Wood, and current title challenger Aljamain Sterling. Eduardo does own stoppage wins over Manvel Gamburyan and Eddie Wineland. Fighting since 1996, Eduardo’s fight career might be on a timer, so enjoy him while he’s here.
Birchak (15-7) returned to the promotion after a four-year absence in 2020. “El Toro” was released in 2017 but fought his way back through promotions such as Rizin, Comabate, and LFA. He was unsuccessful in his UFC return against Gustavo Lopez in November, as he was submitted in the first round.
The March 20 fight card, which takes place at the UFC Apex, now looks like this:
- Derek Brunson vs. Kevin Holland
- Paul Craig vs. Jamahal Hill
- Cheyanne Buys vs. Kay Hansen
- Julia Avila vs. Julija Stoliarenko
- Max Griffin vs. Song Kenan
- Gustavo Lopez vs. Adrian Yanez
- Dricus Du Plessis vs. Trevin Giles
- Don’Tale Mayes vs. Tai Tuivasa
- Grant Dawson vs. Leonardo Santos
- JP Buys vs. Bruno Silva
- Anthony Birchak vs. Johnny Eduardo