Syndicate MMA Prospect Justin Osborn “Scared To Death” He Wouldn’t Get To Fight This Year

0

Justin Osborn thought his career might be on hold when the COVID-19 pandemic hit earlier this year. But luckily, the 27-year-old will be returning to action this Saturday at Atlas Fights.

“I was scared to death, to be honest,” Osborn told Cageside Press when discussing the COVID-19 pandemic. “Because my biggest, one of my biggest issues, being a regional fighter has been staying active. And for me, it’s not that I haven’t wanted to take fights. It’s that I just haven’t been able to get them. And then this happens. Last year, I had a broken collarbone. So I was out for a whole year. And then I fight in February and then I’m on the sidelines for who knows how long.”

Osborn (2-2) looks to get back on the winning track as he faces late replacement opponent Santiago Guzman (he was originally slated to fight Gary Spencer during this interview). The Las Vegas native has dropped back-to-back decision losses which has prompted a move up to welterweight.

“The plan for me is to stay (at welterweight),” Osborn explained. “Because especially right now, all the fights are going to be on short notice. I can’t cut 30 pounds on short notice. It’s been just killing my body to do it. And I’ve noticed I’m way more resilient. I don’t get as many bumps and bruises throughout the training. So it’s been great. I plan on staying here.”

Osborn has also enlisted the services of DWCS veteran Aaron Jeffery, who works as a nutritionist along with his fight career. The pair met when Jeffery spent some time training at Syndicate MMA last year.

“This was when my collarbone was broken, so I got to know him,” Osborn said. “He’s a really nice guy and I knew he did the nutrition business as well. I also know that he made the jump from welterweight to middleweight, which was another 15-pound jump. So I just started asking him questions and then we just started working together. It’s been fantastic.”

Osborne’s opponent Guzman (0-1) replaces Spencer who was forced out of the fight due to an eye injury. The 28-year-old hasn’t fought since his professional debut in December 2017 at Fury FC 21 where he lost to Nick Gay after landing an illegal knee to a downed opponent.

Atlas Fights 57 takes place on November 7 at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum Convention Center in Biloxi, MS.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here