UFC Brasilia Results: Bloody Maryna Moroz Survives Late Rally by Mayra Bueno Silva

Maryna Moroz UFC
Maryna Moroz Credit: Jay Anderson/Cageside Press

The second of three women’s bouts at UFC Brasilia featured the flyweights, as Maryna Moroz squared off against Mayra Bueno Silva. Moroz had returned to flyweight last March, earning an upset over the highly touted Sabina Mazo. Expected to fight at UFC 241 last August, she was forced out due to injury, making her return Saturday her first fight in roughly a year. Welcoming her back was undefeated Brazilian Mayra Bueno Silva.

It was Bueno Silva who landed a fancy spinning back kick in the opening minute, which probably would have got the crowd on their feet had there been one. Moroz, meanwhile, got her hands going, firing combos often punctuated with kicks. She also went to the body, while Bueno Silva attempted to fire back — she, however, was being outworked. Bueno Silva would fire off a nifty spinning back elbow, and to the midway mark, it was flash vs. grit. Two minutes in, Moroz opted to take the fight down, moving to Bueno Silva’s guard. She got right to work, staying active enough to end the round on top.

A hard right landed for Mayra Bueno Silva in round two. Moroz was clearly thinking about taking the fight to the ground again, but Bueno Silva had other ideas. They wound up in a brief clinch by the fence, Bueno Silva firing a knee. Back to the middle briefly, they found themselves at the fence again with Brazil’s Bueno Silva uncorking a big head kick. Moments later she had the back of Moroz, standing, firing a knee to the thigh. Where Moroz was having success, however, was her low kicks, and volume. But as the midway mark of the round, and fight, ticked by, Bueno Silva appeared to have found her rhythm.

Or perhaps not: a throw resulted in Bueno Silva landing on her back, with Moroz quickly passing to half-guard. Bueno Silva had no answer off her back, as Moroz pummeled her with elbows.

Round three started with Bueno Silva flashing a front kick and putting the pressure on. Moroz went to her opponent’s body with jabs repeatedly. Those shots were no doubt sapping the energy from Bueno Silva, who very likely needed a finish if she had any hope of winning the fight. The Brazilian finally found her range with a pair of hard right hands, hurting Moroz, who finally decided to shoot for a takedown. Bueno Silva managed to remain upright, however, and wobbled Moroz with another right. A second takedown attempt was fought off by Bueno Silva with a sprawl. Moroz had eaten a number of leg kicks, and Bueno Silva was soon bringing the fight to her. The final minute was bound to be interesting. Bueno Silva connected with a knee to the head in the clinch. Whether it was that, or a follow-up strike, Moroz was cut open and bloody. Bueno Silva pressed hard in the dying seconds, but Moroz was still firing back, and survived to the end.

Official Result: Maryna Moroz def. Mayra Bueno Silva by unanimous decision (29-28, 29-28, 29-28)