UFC Paris is just days away, and is down two fights as of Fight Week.
Lucas Almeida (14-2) announced on social media this week that he was out of his Paris fight with William Gomis (12-2) this Saturday. Brazil’s Almeida had been looking to bounce back from a loss to Pat Sabatini, and has posted a 1-1 record through two fights in the promotion.
Almeida has had four match-ups fall through since joining the UFC in 2022, missing out on twice as many fights as he has actually competed in during his tenure with the company.
Also off the UFC Paris card is Muin Gafurov, the victim of the dreaded visa issues. Gafurov (18-5) was to have faced French bantamweight Taylor Lapilus (18-3) in the fight. La Sueur was among those first to report the Gafurov situation.
Both Gomis and Lapilus are now awaiting replacement opponents, though it is unclear if those can be secured in time for Friday’s weigh-in.
UFC Paris is headlined by heavyweights Ciryl Gane and Sergei Spivac, and takes place at the Accor Arena on Saturday, September 2, 2023. The card currently breaks down as follows:
- Ciryl Gane vs. Sergey Spivak
- Manon Fiorot vs. Rose Namajunas
- Benoît Saint-Denis vs. Thiago Moisés
- Volkan Oezdemir vs. Bogdan Guskov
- Yanis Ghemmouri vs. Caolan Loughran
- Morgan Charriere vs. Manolo Zecchini
- Zarah Fairn dos Santos vs. Jacqueline Cavalcanti
- Joselyne Edwards vs. Nora Cornolle
- Ange Loosa vs. Rhys McKee
- Farid Basharat vs. Kleydson Rodrigues
- Taylor Lapilus vs. TBD
- William Gomis vs. TBD