UFC lightweight, Joel Alvarez, returned for the first time in over a year this past Saturday, where he picked up a win over UK fighter, Marc Diakiese.
Despite the Spaniard picking up the win, unfortunately it is clouded in controversy as the finishing sequence came due to a clash of heads. Alvarez went on to capitalise on the situation and subsequently picked up his 17th career win by submission.
Although the majority of fans aren’t pleased with the way Dan Movahedi dealt with the situation, and the lack of not using the replay, Alvarez has defended his win and dismissed any controversy surrounding it.
“We stopped, the ref told us to keep going so I kept going. I was happy to get the submission all my victories come from submissions so I was happy to go in there and get one more.” Alvarez said.
“El Fenomeno” hasn’t fought twice in a calendar year since 2020 with activity being his biggest issue. Despite that, he has declared that he wants to come back and fight someone in the top 15 this year.
“Comeback to the top 15.
“I’ve only fought once since then (2021) against Arman and you know the reality is that i’m here to show that i’m back and active. I want to be more active, I had some injuries, I was going to fight in February in Australia but I had some visa problems but now I want to stay more active.
“For sure before the year is over, I’ll be back.” Alvarez said.
Watch the entire post-fight scrum with Joel Alvarez above.