With Henry Cejudo previously announcing that a shoulder injury had taken him out of next month’s UFC 292, where he had been booked against Marlon “Chito” Vera, a new opponent has stepped up.
Replacing Cejudo in the fight will be Pedro Munhoz (20-7, 2NC), who meets Vera (20-8-1) on a big night for the bantamweight division.
Munhoz just recently returned to the win column, snapping a three-fight winless streak that included two losses, to ex-champs Dominick Cruz and Jose Aldo, and a No Contest suffered due to an eye poke incurred in his fight with Sean O’Malley. Overall, Munhoz is 2-4, 1NC in his past seven fights.
Chito Vera saw a four-fight win streak come to an end this past March, as he came up short in a key fight with Cory Sandhagen.
Vera still sits at #6 in the 135lb division under the UFC’s official rankings, while Monhoz currently occupies the #10 slot.
UFC 292 takes place August 19, 2023 at the TD Garden in Boston, MA, with two title fights headlining — including a bantamweight championship bout that sees Aljamain Sterling put gold on the line against the popular Sean O’Malley.
The following fights have been reported for UFC 292 thus far:
- Aljamain Sterling (c) vs. Sean O’Malley — for the UFC bamtamweight championship
- Zhang Weili (c) vs. Amanda Lemos — for the UFC women’s strawweight championship
- Rob Font vs. Song Yadong
- Geoff Neal vs. Ian Machado Garry
- Cody Garbrandt vs. Mario Bautista
- Chris Weidman vs. Brad Tavares
- Andre Petroski vs. Gerald Meerschaert
- Andrea Lee vs. Natália Silva
- Gregory Rodrigues vs. Dennis Tiuliulin
- Karine Silva vs. Maryna Moroz
- Marlon Vera vs. Pedro Munhoz