It has been a long, hard journey for Alex Reyes, who last fought in 2017.
The lightweight made his UFC debut that year, moving up in weight to take on Mike Perry on short notice. That welterweight fight got his foot in the door, but Reyes would not fight again, after a stem cell injection resulted in a spinal infection that left him without the ability to walk.
Now, after extensive rehab outlined in an interview with MMA Junkie, Reyes (13-3) will make his return, facing newcomer Trevor Peek (7-0) at a UFC Fight Night event on February 25, 2023.
MMA Junkie was first to report the news, which was confirmed by Reyes’ management team, Iridium Sports Agency.
Peek won his way into the UFC on Dana White’s Contender Series last year. He also holds a win over UFC veteran Khama Worthy outside the promotion.
The UFC’s Feb. 25 Fight Night event is set for the Apex in Las Vegas, with light heavyweights Nikita Krylov and Ryan Spann headlining. The following match-ups have been reported for the event.
- Nikita Krylov vs. Ryan Spann
- Mike Malott vs. Yohan Lainesse
- Cortney Casey vs. Jasmine Jasudavicius
- Victor Martinez vs. Jordan Leavitt
- Hailey Cowan vs. Ailin Perez
- Ode’ Osbourne vs. Denys Bondar
- Erick Gonzalez vs. Darrius Flowers
- Andre Fili vs. Lucas Almeida
- André Muniz vs. Brendan Allen
- Augusto Sakai vs. Don’Tale Mayes
- Garrett Armfield vs. Jose Johnson
- Alex Reyes vs. Trevor Peek
- Tatiana Suarez vs. Montana De La Rosa