With the middleweight fight between Jared Cannonier and Sean Strickland off the card, Alexa Grasso vs. Viviane Araujo has been promoted to the main event of the UFC’s October 15 Fight Night card.
Promotion officials announced the news on Wednesday. Strickland had been forced out of the fight due to a finger injury, leaving Cannonier without a dance partner.
— UFC (@ufc) September 7, 2022
Grasso vs. Araujo will now be a five-round affair.
Having posted a 3-0 record since moving to the flyweight division last year, Grasso (14-3) is currently on the best run of her UFC tenure. Most recently, the Mexican standout defeated Joanne Wood via submission, locking up a rear-naked choke inside of a round.
Grasso started her UFC run as a strawweight, posting a 3-3 record after arriving in the promotion in 2016.
Brazil’s Araujo (11-3) is coming off a big win over former Legacy FC champ Andrea “KGB” Lee. After entering the promotion as a bantamweight, she moved to flyweight after just one fight, and has a 4-2 record at 125 pounds.
The UFC’s October 15, 2022 card currently consists of the following reported bouts:
- Alexa Grasso vs. Viviane Araújo
- Misha Cirkunov vs. Alonzo Menifield
- Raphael Assunção vs. Victor Henry
- Tatsuro Taira vs. C.J. Vergara
- Sam Hughes vs. Piera Rodríguez
- Cub Swanson vs. Jonathan Martinez
- Brandon Royval vs. Askar Askarov
- Leomana Martinez vs. Brandon Davis
- Mike Jackson vs. Pete Rodriguez
- Melsik Baghdasaryan vs Joanderson Brito
- Nick Maximov vs. Jacob Malkoun