A women’s flyweight bout featuring Miranda Maverick and Shanna Young is the latest addition to UFC 278.
The August 20, 2022 Pay-Per-View card is set for the Vivint Arena in Salt Lake City, Utah. Both fighters confirmed the booking on social media on Thursday, following an initial report by MMA Junkie.
The fight is a rematch of the pair’s 2018 Invicta Phoenix Series 2 bout, which saw Maverick capture a submission win — and go on to win the one-night tournament. Due to the opening two fights of the Pheonix Series being one-round exhibitions, the fight does not appear on Maverick’s official record, but there’s little doubt that Young will be just as motivated to exact her revenge.
Maverick (10-4) recently got back into the win column with a rear-naked choke submission of “Colombian Queen” Sabina Mazo. Prior to that, she had lost back-to-back fights against fellow 125 pound prospects Erin Blanchfield and Maycee Barber.
Overall, Miranda Maverick is 3-2 inside the octagon, having started her UFC run with two consecutive wins.
Young (8-4) also recently returned to the win column, care of a TKO victory against Gina Mazany. That brought the Invicta alum’s record to 1-2 in the UFC. “The Shanimal” previously appeared on Dana White’s Contender Series as well.
UFC 278 takes place August 20, 2022 with Kamaru Usman putting his welterweight title on the line against Leon Edwards in the main event. The following fights are expected to feature on the card:
- Kamaru Usman (c) vs. Leon Edwards – for the UFC welterweight championship
- José Aldo vs. Merab Dvalishvili
- Paulo Costa vs. Luke Rockhold
- Francisco Figueiredo vs. Amir Albazi
- Marcin Tybura vs. Alexander Romanov
- Leonardo Santos vs. Jared Gordon
- Wu Yanan vs. Lucie Pudilová
- Tyson Pedro vs. Harry Hunsucker
- Daniel Lacerda vs. Victor Altamirano
- Aori Qileng vs. Jay Perrin
- A.J. Fletcher vs. Ange Loosa
- Sean Woodson vs. Luis Saldaña
- Miranda Maverick vs. Shanna Young