A commonwealth showdown is set for UFC London, as Canada’s Kyle Nelson will face Britain’s Jai Herbert at the event next month.
Nelson (13-4) meets Herbert (11-4) in a lightweight match-up at the O2 Arena on July 23, 2022. The Fight Night event is the second the promotion has held in the British capital this year.
Both fighters confirmed the booking on social media on Tuesday.
Fighting out of Stoney Creek, Ontario, “The Monster” has been with the UFC since 2018, but missed all of 2021. He’ll be looking to bounce back from a loss to Billy Quarantillo in the fight, after picking up his first UFC win against Polo Reyes.
He’ll also be returning to the lightweight division for the match-up.
Herbert will be competing at home for the second time in 2022, after “The Black Country Banger” took on Ilia Topuria in London on March 19. He wound up knocked out in the second round, leaving him with a 1-3 record inside the octagon — a mirror image of Nelson’s own UFC record.
Tom Aspinall will once again headline the UFC London card in July, this time against Curtis Blaydes. Aside from the heavyweight main event, there are a number of key match-ups on the Fight Night card, including names like Darren Till and Alexander Gustafsson.
The following bouts have been reported for the event thus far:
- Curtis Blaydes vs. Tom Aspinall
- Jack Hermansson vs. Darren Till
- Nikita Krylov vs. Alexander Gustafsson
- Paul Craig vs. Volkan Oezdemir
- Marc Diakiese vs. Damir Hadžović
- Molly McCann vs. Hannah Goldy
- Makwan Amirkhani vs. Jonathan Pearce
- Muhammad Mokaev vs. Charles Johnson
- Victoria Leonardo vs. Mandy Böhm
- Nicolas Dalby vs. Cláudio Silva
- Paddy Pimblett vs. Jordan Leavitt
- Kyle Nelson vs. Jai Herbert