July’s UFC 277 has a main event and a location set.
During Saturday’s UFC Vegas 55 broadcast, promotion officials announced the headlining fight for the second PPV of July. That will see Julianna Pena and Amanda Nunes run it back, with the women’s bantamweight championship on the line.
Also on the card will be a previously announced interim flyweight title fight featuring Brandon Moreno taking on Kai Kara-France, a heavyweight match-up between Derrick Lewis and Sergei Pavlovich, and the return of ex-middleweight champ Luke Rockhold, opposite Paulo Costa.
Rounding out the UFC 277 main card, former light heavyweight title challenger Anthony Smith will face the surging Magomed Ankalaev.
It’s the main event rematch that will turn heads, however. Julianna Pena (11-4) unequivocally shocked the world when she submitted Nunes last December, claiming the UFC women’s 135 pound title in the process. To that point, “The Lioness” had appeared unstoppable, becoming the first woman to claim a championship in two UFC weight classes simultaneously.
Nunes (21-5) saw a 12-fight win streak dating back to 2015 snapped in the loss. The Brazilian had toppled champion after champion: Valentina Shevchenko, Miesha Tate, Holly Holm, Ronda Rousey, Germaine de Randamie, and Cris Cyborg, all of whom had or would hold gold in the UFC. She continues to carry the UFC’s women’s featherweight title.
The bantamweight duo are currently serving as coaches on The Ultimate Fighter 30, which filmed earlier this year.
UFC 277 will take place on July 30, 2022 in Dallas, Texas, with the following fights reported to date:
- Julianna Pena (c) vs. Amanda Nunes – for the UFC women’s bantamweight championship
- Brandon Moreno vs. Kai Kara-France – for the UFC interim flyweight championship
- Derrick Lewis vs. Sergei Pavlovich
- Luke Rockhold vs. Paulo Costa
- Magomed Ankalaev vs. Anthony Smith
- Ramiz Brahimaj vs. Michael Morales
- Drakkar Klose vs. Carlos Diego Ferreira
- Justin Tafa vs. Don’Tale Mayes
- Drew Dober vs. Rafael Alves