The Bellator debut of former RIZIN Fighting Federation lightweight champion Tofiq Musayev has hit a snag.
Musayev (18-4) had been expected to face Zach Zane (15-11) at Bellator 278 this Friday, April 22 in Honolulu, Hawaii. Zane, however, has been forced out of the fight, and Musayev pulled from the card as a result.
Cageside Press confirmed the news with a source familiar with the situation on Tuesday, following an initial report by MMA Fighting.
No reason was reported for Zane’s withdrawal from the fight. It’s unclear whether the promotion will try to keep the match-up together, but regadless, Musayev will be making his debut at a later date.
A RIZIN lightweight grand prix winner, Musayev last competed in June of 2021, when he returned to action after a year and a half layoff, losing his title to Roberto “Satoshi” Souza.
Bellator 278, headlined by a women’s flyweight championship fight between Juliana Velasquez and Liz Carmouche, takes place at the Neal S. Blaisdell Arena in Honolulu, Hawaii this Friday, April 22. The following bouts have been reported for the event:
- Juliana Velasquez (c) vs. Liz Carmouche – for the Bellator MMA women’s flyweight championship
- Nikita Mikhailov vs. Enrique Barzola – bantamweight grand prix wild card bout
- Jornel Lugo vs. Danny Sabatello – bantamweight grand prix wild card bout
- Christian Edwards vs. Grant Neal
- Nate Andrews vs. Manny Muro
- Dante Schiro vs. Scotty Hao
- Weber Almeida vs. Fabricio Franco
- Cee Jay Hamilton vs. Érik Pérez
- Makoa Cooper vs. Blake Perry