Andrei Arlovski’s legend continues to grow, and at 43, he’s decided to step in on short notice against an opponent a full decade his junior.
Arlovski (33-20, 2NC) will face Jake Collier (13-6) at UFC on ESPN 35 later this month. The booking sees “The Pitbull” stepping in to replace Justin Tafa, who has dropped off the card due to undisclosed reasons.
Cageside Press confirmed the match-up Friday, following an initial report by MMA Junkie. UFC on ESPN 35 takes place on Saturday, April 30, 2022 at the Apex in Las Vegas.
A former UFC heavyweight champion, Arlovski will ride a full head of steam into the bout, having won his last three fights. Most recently, he got past Jared Vanderaa at UFC 271 in February, earning the victory in a close split decision. Overall, the Belarusian fighter is 5-1 in his last six bouts, going the distance in all five wins.
The only blemish in that stretch came in a submission defeat to surging heavyweight prospect Tom Aspinall last year.
Collier will also enter UFC on ESPN 35 off a win. Since moving to heavyweight in 2020, the former middleweight is 2-2, most recently earning a Performance of the Night bonus for his submission of Chase Sherman this past January.
The UFC on ESPN 35 card currently features the following match-ups:
- Rob Font vs. Marlon Vera
- Tatsuro Taira vs. Carlos Candelario
- Gabriel Green vs. Yohan Lainesse
- Darren Elkins vs. Tristan Connelly
- Gina Mazany vs. Shanna Young
- Daniel da Silva vs. Francisco Figueiredo
- Antonina Shevchenko vs. Cortney Casey
- Mike Breeden vs. Natan Levy
- Jessica Penne vs. Luana Pinheiro
- Justin Tafa vs. Jake Collier
- Krzysztof Jotko vs. Gerald Meerschaert
- Jared Gordon vs. Grant Dawson
- Andre Fili vs. Joanderson Brito
- Andrei Arlovski vs. Jake Collier