The women’s strawweight match-up between Jinh Yu Frey and Hannah Goldy, planned for the UFC Vegas 49 preliminary card on Saturday, has been pulled from the event.
UFC officials announced the news Wednesday, citing an undisclosed illness suffered by Goldy. It does not appear that a new opponent will be sought for Frey, with the promotion stating the bout was “canceled” in a brief statement on their official website.
“Due to an illness with Hannah Goldy, her strawweight bout with Jinh Yu Frey has been canceled from this weekend’s event,” the statement read.
Frey (11-6), a former Invicta FC atomweight champ, last fought in July, picking up her second straight win inside the octagon care of a unanimous decision win over Ashley Yoder. The win improved the 36-year old’s record with the promotion to 2-2.
The Korean-American won the Invicta FC 105lb title in 2018, defending the belt once before being stripped the following year when she missed weight for a fight with Ashley Cummins. After defeating Cummins, Frey made the jump to strawweight, and to the UFC.
Goldy (6-2), who dropped her first two fights in the organization after winning on Dana White’s Contender Series in 2019, finally picked up her first UFC victory last time out. That saw her submit Emily Whitmire with an arm-bar this past September.
UFC Vegas 49 (UFC Fight Night 202) is set to take place at the Apex in Las Vegas on Saturday, February 26, 2022. A lightweight bout between Islam Makhachev and Bobby Green headlines. The card now consists of the following eleven bouts:
- Islam Makhachev vs. Bobby Green
- Misha Cirkunov vs. Wellington Turman
- Ji Yeon Kim vs. Priscila Cachoeira
- Arman Tsarukyan vs. Joel Álvarez
- Armen Petrosyan vs. Gregory Rodrigues
- Zhu Rong vs. Ignacio Bahamondes
- Josiane Nunes vs. Ramona Pascual
- Terrance McKinney vs. Farès Ziam
- Alejandro Pérez vs. Jonathan Martinez
- Ramiz Brahimaj vs. Micheal Gillmore
- Victor Altamirano vs. Carlos Hernández