Bantamweight Montel Jackson has a new opponent next month, after his original foe Batgerel Danaa was forced to pull out.
MMA DNA was first to report the news that Jackson will now face JP Buys, who will be moving up a weight class, on September 18 at UFC Fight Night: Smith vs. Spann. Buys subsequently confirmed the booking on social media.
Jackson (10-2) got back to his winning ways in March when he finished Jesse Strader in less than two minutes. Before that, he has his three-fight win streak snapped against Brett Johns last year at UFC Fight Night: Figueiredo vs. Benavidez 2 on ‘Fight Island.’ “Quik” would lose a unanimous decision. Jackson is 4-2 in the octagon since joining the promotion in 2018.
Buys (9-3) had his five-fight win streak snapped when he lost his promotional debut to Bruno Silva. He was knocked out in the second round. “Young Savage” received a UFC contract on season four of Dana White’s Contender Series when he submitted Jacob Silva.
The South African last fought at bantamweight in 2019, and was an EFC champ at 135lbs. However, he dropped to flyweight for his DWCS appearance last year, and remained there upon joining the big show.
No location, venue, or broadcast plan has been announced for the September 18 event, but UFC President Dana White said that all Fight Nights will be staying at the Apex in Las Vegas, NV.
So far, the Fight Night card looks like this:
- Anthony Smith vs. Ryan Spann
- Pannie Kianzad vs. Raquel Pennington
- Montel Jackson vs. JP Buys
- Christos Giagos vs. Arman Tsarukyan
- Dakota Bush vs. Zhu Rong
- Devin Clark vs. Ion Cutelaba
- Mike Rodriguez vs. Tafon Nchukwi
- Impa Kasanganay vs. Carlston Harris
- Jim Miller vs. Nikolas Motta
- Gustavo Lopez vs. Heili Alateng
- Antonio Arroyo vs. Joaquin Buckley
- Cory McKenna vs. Emily Whitmire