A pair of middleweights will collide on the UFC’s May pay-per-view.
Combate was the first to report the news that Ronaldo ‘Jacare’ Souza will fight Andre Muniz at UFC 262 on May 15. Both of the middleweights would later confirm the booking on social media.
Muniz (20-4) has been on a roll in the UFC since winning a contract on season three of Dana White’s Contender Series in 2018. The Brazilian would get a second shot at the Contender series against Taylor Johnson almost a year to the day that he competed on the show’s Brazil version. He would submit Johnson in the first round. Muniz then made his UFC debut three months later against Antônio Arroyo at UFC on ESPN+ 22: Blachowicz vs. Jacare, winning a unanimous decision. His only fight in 2020 was a Performance of the Night submission win against Bartosz Fabiński.
Souza (26-9-1) is on the first losing streak of his illustrious MMA career and desperately needs a win. He is coming off two decision losses to Jack Hermansson and current light heavyweight champion Jan Błachowicz, and a vicious knockout loss to Kevin Holland.
UFC 262 takes place May 15, 2021. With the addition of Jacare vs. Muniz, the event now contains the following fights:
- Charles Oliveira vs. Michael Chandler – for the vacant UFC lightweight championship
- Tony Ferguson vs. Beneil Dariush
- Jack Hermansson vs. Edmen Shahbazyan
- Jacare Souza vs. Andre Muniz
- Priscila Cachoeira vs. Gina Mazany
- Katlyn Chookagian vs. Viviane Araújo
- Alex Perez vs. Matt Schnell
- Andrea Lee vs. Antonina Shevchenko
- Edson Barboza vs. Shane Burgos
- Jordan Wright vs. Jamie Pickett
- Christos Giagos vs. Joel Álvarez