The flyweight division’s time in the UFC appears to be numbered, as a new report states there is a plan to dissolve the division, and cut those fighters not offered spots at bantamweight.
According to a new report by FloCombat, and backed up, it seems, by recently released UFC flyweight Jose Torres, the UFC is looking at closing up shop in the 125lb division. According to Wednesday’s initial report, the plan is to shutter the division, offering some — but not all — flyweights a shot at 135lbs. That’s clearly the plan with champ Henry Cejudo, who is being targeted for a fight with T.J. Dillashaw at UFC 233 in Anaheim for the bantamweight title.
Former double champ Jose ‘Shorty’ Torres, who held gold at 125lbs and 135lbs in Titan FC, later added that he’d been cut by the organization and could confirm the news.
Im the 1st to be let go. I didnt get to finish my UFC contract with 2 fights left because they are cutting most of my division n not giving some of us a chance to bump up n prove ourselves like myself. So now it’s time to move on to bigger and better things. Good luck small guys! pic.twitter.com/lUMijsRoDm
— Jose Shorty Torres (@ShortyTorres125) November 7, 2018
Torres later told MMA Junkie that the UFC told him outright of the plan to cut flyweights. However, they did not offer him a shot at bantamweight, because they did not see him as a contender.
Over a year ago, recently traded UFC star Demetrious Johnson claimed UFC President Dana White had threatened to shut down the flyweight division. White’s response was that it was never a threat, rather, something the promotion was considering. “Never once did I threaten him to shut down the division,” White said (via MMA Junkie). “I told him that we had been talking about shutting down the division for years. He knows that.”
Johnson, of course, was traded to ONE Championship in exchange for Ben Askren. It seems ONE could very well become a destination for many fighters looking at potential cuts due to the dissolution of the 125lb class in the UFC.