Three “Huh?” Moments in MMA Last Week: Lance Palmer is upset, Volkanovski-Holloway 3, and Tito Ortiz runs for office

0
Lance Palmer Credit: Ryan Loco/PFL

An MMA promotion is on the verge of losing one of their champs, a trilogy featherweight title fight could be on the way, and a former UFC champion is running for office. Huh?

Finding the proper response to much of the news finding its way into our social media feeds is becoming a tougher task every day. Nothing is surprising anymore, and there’s always more to the story. Leaving us with one reply: “huh?”

Last week, two-time PFL featherweight champion Lance Palmer made it known he no longer wants to fight for the promotion, UFC President Dana White said he’s looking at booking Alexander Volkanovski-Max Holloway 3, and former UFC light heavyweight champ Tito Ortiz decided to run for City Council in Huntington Beach. Huh?

The reason “huh?”, in its various forms, is such a quality reply is simple. The word is as versatile as a response gets, and while it may require some explanation, “huh?” is sometimes the only way to react to the news of today. Defined by Merriam-Webster as an interjection that’s “used to express surprise, disbelief, or confusion, or as an inquiry inviting affirmative reply”, “huh” or “huh?” can mean a lot of different things.

Despite some of the follies of evolution (see: zombie cicadas), the development and growth of “huh” is something we should embrace. To be the change we want to see in the world, here are a few MMA stories last week that made us go “huh?

Lance Palmer wants to leave PFL

After signing a new deal with PFL in December, two-time featherweight champ Lance Palmer is looking to end his relationship with the promotion. Although he’s undefeated since WSOF became PFL, and is the only 145-pound tournament winner in the promotion’s history, things got personal last week. Huh?

A private Instagram post from Palmer’s father, Wayne, got the attention of PFL. The promotion was concerned about the post and felt the need to publicly respond via Twitter. On top of the lack of fights, and the less-than-suitable monthly stipends, the promotion’s response to Palmer’s father was enough to push the current title-holder over the edge.

“Honestly, it was only the fact that they were going to sit everybody for 18 months until Friday when they posted that statement about my dad, which has nothing to do with anything,” Palmer said. “If they’re so focused on what my dad’s private Instagram is saying, not even about them, this has nothing to do with them at all. So I have no idea what they’re trying to do at this point but they’re not focused on setting up a show, that’s for sure.” – via MMA Fighting

Burn. Palmer makes some good points. If they’re not going to put on events under the current conditions, that’s understandable. But if you plan on holding on to the likes of Lance Palmer, your compensation package for taking 18 months off should be better than $1,000/month for five months. And if it’s not better than that, maybe don’t also pick fights with his dad on social media.

Whether or not Palmer gets his release remains to be seen. At this point, it seems like the best route for everyone involved. He’s won his last 11 bouts, and you’d imagine he’d have interest from other promotions that are currently holding events were he to become a free agent.

Leave a Reply