UFC: Nick Diaz Ready For Return, Wants Spring Fight Against Jorge Masvidal

0
Nick Diaz Credit: Marcus Rebelo/Cageside Press

After years of rumors about his return, Nick Diaz reportedly has the intention of returning next year against the man who defeated his brother, Jorge Masvidal.

Nick Diaz hasn’t fought in the UFC since January of 2015. However, his return could be imminent according to Diaz and his team. Diaz appeared on Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show Monday in one of his most publicized interviews in years, and told Helwani that he would like to return to the UFC in 2020. His choice in opponent would be the man that just defeated his little brother Nate at UFC 244, that man being Jorge Masvidal.

“I’ll fight anybody,” Nick Diaz said during the interview. “This guy [Masvidal] can do anything he wants to do right now to make the most money possible.”  Masvidal and Nick Diaz were supposedly set to showdown at UFC 235 earlier this year, however, that fight didn’t come to be. Masvidal would then go on to become a giant star throughout the year, with knockout victories over Darren Till in London, the then-undefeated Ben Askren at UFC 239, and then Nate Diaz in one of the biggest fights of the year at UFC 244.

According to Diaz’s manager, a return to fighting is being targeted for the spring. The Masvidal fight at the home of the Dallas Cowboys, AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas, is their ideal location. “You know, it’s on you Dana,” Diaz said, “It’s on you, UFC. … that’s on them. It’s in your hands now. Cowboy Stadium.”

Diaz supposedly wanted to fight Masvidal after taking issue with Masvidal’s comments about “baptizing” his brother. “You want to talk about baptizing my younger brother?” Nick Diaz said. “That’s on you. Like, you don’t talk about baptizing my younger brother, so you’re already in an f*cked position if you fight with me. You don’t f*cking talk about baptizing someone’s younger brother. That’s my baby brother.”

Diaz’s last fight was at UFC 183, against Anderson Silva in the main event. The fight was originally a loss for Diaz, however, it was overturned following drug test failures by both fighters. Diaz tested positive for marijuana and was promptly suspended for five years by the Nevada State Athletic Commission, though his punishment would be shortened afterward. The former Strikeforce champion has faced some of the biggest stars in the sport, including BJ Penn, Georges St-Pierre, Robbie Lawler, and Diego Sanchez.

Leave a Reply